Stemming is a method for matching word variations. SearchBlox provides out-of-the-box stemming support for content in 37 languages and the option to enable/disable stemming on an individual document collection basis.
- Stemming can be enabled or disabled in collection settings as in the screenshot.
- By default, the stemming will be enabled in collections.
- Clear and Index the collection after the change.
- By enabling stemming, inflected words are reduced to a root form.
- Inflection refers to words taking different forms to express differences in tense, numbers, gender, etc. Most languages are inflected in this way.
- For example,
ranare the inflected forms of
- If a root word is searched, documents with inflected words and root words will be returned.
- When stemming is enabled, if you search for the word
wonder, documents with
wonderful, etc., will be returned as results.
- Similarly, searching for inflected words ("wondering") will list documents with root and inflected words in the results.
- When stemming is disabled, only the words searched, and not the inflected forms, will appear in the results.
Stemming can be enabled or disabled in SearchBlox’s collection settings. After saving the changes made, the collection needs to be cleared and then re-indexed for it to take effect.
Updated over 2 years ago